Wednesday, April 20, 2011

how to tell if an egg is fresh

Since it is Easter season . . . I have eggs on the brain.

I just learned (from my trusty Better Homes and Gardens Magazine) how to tell if an egg is fresh or not.

Gently place the egg in question in a bowl of cold water.

If the egg is really fresh, it should drop to the bottom of the bowl and lie on its side.

If the egg is somewhat fresh, the egg should stand on end and bob about in the water.

Eggs that float should be tossed in the trash.


Good to know!!

Also . . . check the "sell by" date. The eggs are usually good for up to two weeks past that date. 
(the number before the "sell by" date is the day of the year the eggs were packed . . . the carton below was packed on day 267 ~ Sept. 24) I learned that here.


The kids and I will be coloring some eggs in the next few days.  I'll make sure to use fresh ones! ;)

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful tips Cheryl.
    Who knew....besides BHG that is!:)
    Have a happy day

    ReplyDelete
  2. what good tips. thanks! i can't wait to see how the painted eggs turn out:)

    ReplyDelete