Monday, October 11, 2010

Priorities

I have been feeling a little "down" lately because I just can't seem to keep "up" with everything. 

I think that I need to re-think my priorities and try to leave out some of the "not-so-necessary" things and focus on the really, truly important things.

And eat some of these.
:)


Our days on this earth are so very short and I want to live them being happy. . . not rushed, frustrated, and stressed

Today, Jake had a 3-on-3 basketball tournament.  I was going to send him off with John and the kids so I could get some of my "work" (painting Luke's room) done.  Just as they were leaving, I grabbed my purse and hopped in the car to go with them. 
Jake was so pleased. 
I'm glad I went . . . painting Luke's room was definitely not as important as watching Jake play basketball with his buddies.


I am going to try to get the things that I "must" get done, done. (like the bills)  But I am going to be very flexible with a lot of the "other" things. (like painting every room in the house three times before I like the color) 

I am going to read my Bible more, ride my bike with my kids more, talk with my husband more, take long walks in the woods more, and really bend down to look at my kids in the eyes and have a heart to heart conversation with them more. 

I am going to keep my house neat and organized (ummm . . . for the most part), but I am not going to worry so much about having it exactly the way I want it to.

Psalm 90:12 says, "Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." 

I really like this verse because I really do think that when we realize how short of a time we have here in this world, we become wiser with how we spend that time.

Lord, help me to be wise with the minutes and the days you have given me. 

p.s. . .  John painted Luke's room tonight anyway :) So now I am really glad I went to Jake's tournament. 
:)

3 comments:

  1. You can do it momma...The one thing that has kept my sanity for years is lists. I write daily lists and check off as I go. Btw, Have you tried the Salted Mini Brownies at Trader Joes??? They are divine. I sometime's hide them from my kiddies and eat them all. lol. Have a fabulous weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post.

    Cheryl, are we sisters?

    I told my yoga student what I heard recently, that we are human BEings not human DOings. God is so smart. Being in HIM, being present, being content, and being still. SO hard but so sweet!

    Yes, I love to paint rooms 3 times until I decide... for now. :)


    Have you been eating squash lately too? What is your fave?

    Abbi is having a ball at her retreat... man having them away on their "own" is hard, huh? Love that turkey. :)

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I needed to read this today. I've been feeling so behind on EVERYTHING... yet thinking that I can't remember the last time I really spend time reading my Bible. I'm constantly feeling overwhelmed with life, but really need to change some of my priorities, I'm afraid. So glad you went to the game. :)

    ReplyDelete