I have definitely been missing in action for the past couple of months.
There are several reasons for that:
1. I had a bad headache that just wouldn't leave me alone,
2. Christmas (need I say more??),
3. I just needed more time to get some important things done around my house,
4. and I just needed to focus on my family.
Now, I am ready to have fun blogging again . . .
I decided to start with a repost from last January because Caroline and I made these fun bird cakes again today.
Enjoy! and I will see you again real soon!!
Since Caroline likes watching her new bird feeder so closely (thanks Uncle Steve, Auntie Becca, and family!) we checked a book out at the library called Birds in Your Backyard by Barbara Herkert.
I think it was written especially for Caroline. :) It gives so many cool ideas about how to attract and identify birds and the illustrations are beautiful. Today, we made a recipe for little "cakes" to feed the birds.
I think it was written especially for Caroline. :) It gives so many cool ideas about how to attract and identify birds and the illustrations are beautiful. Today, we made a recipe for little "cakes" to feed the birds.First, you hollow out oranges. We hollowed out 2 to make 4 cakes. (we used a grapefruit spoon to do this)
Then, we mixed the following in a bowl:
1 cup of bird seed
1/2 cup melted vegetable shortening
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter (Caroline insisted on making homemade peanut butter . . .nothing but the best for the birds!)
Last, we scooped it into the hollowed out oranges and . . . voila!!
Don't they look yummy?
We put one outside and waited and waited for the birds to come, but they must have seen us. After a while, we looked and . . . the whole thing was gone! That pesky squirrel. :) That'll feed him for the rest of the winter.
Oh, I tried to get Luke involved in the project, but he was perfectly happy playing Jake's Nintendo DS. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment