Sunday, February 22, 2009

"Caroline Time"


Just recently I purchased a coupon book from Hallmark that is full of great little incentives for kids. Today when Caroline finally got her room clean enough to pass inspection, she got to pick a coupon out of the book. I was so surprised at the one she went to immediately and said, "I know exactly which one I want!" Out of all the cool ones like, "double your allowance for one week", "eat out at any restaurant", and "eat dessert first", she picked "everyone has to pay attention to you for one whole hour." She had it all planned out. After supper, she handed in her coupon and led us into the family room for a gymnastics show. (I was wondering why she had her leotard on under her clothes all day!) After several somersaults, headstands, and cartwheels, it was time to watch her play the piano. She now has three songs in her repertoire. . . Mary Had a Little Lamb. Chopsticks, and Joy to the World. She played them beautifully! Jake and Luke were so gracious to sit and watch and listen and cheer her on. They both had cameras out and were taking pictures. Then, it was drawing time. She wanted everyone to sit and watch her draw because she got a new "tracing machine" and she can draw really well with it.

It was so much fun to drop everything we were doing to "watch Caroline" for a whole hour. At first, the thought of it made Jake gasp in horror, ("You mean we have to sit and watch Caroline . . for a whole hour?!) but he completely enjoyed every minute of it. That hour is one of my favorite hours ever because Caroline was just so tickled that everyone thought she was the most special person in the room at that moment. It really made me realize how important it is to really pay close attention to each child and make them feel special. When I was tucking Caroline in tonight, she said that that was the fastest hour ever and that it seemed like only a minute. Time flies when you are having fun! It was a great night . . an hour well spent.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this post!! What an awesome idea! I can't wait to try it! I love it that Caroline chose the coupon that cost time rather than money, and that she had such neat stuff to show everyone. Way to go, brothers, on enjoying the hour with her! Thanks, Cheryl, for the wise reminder to all moms - our time and attention are the most valuable thing to our kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. way to go, Supermom! I love that you are capturing these moments and inspiring us to do the same!

    ReplyDelete