Friday, June 11, 2010

Being Positive (about broken bones?)

Today, John and I were excited because for the first time in a LONG time, we were going to be able to go out to dinner alone.
Someone had offered to watch the kids and John had received a gift card to eat out for an end of the year present.
Perfect . . . free babysitters, free dinner.
BUT, about an hour before we were supposed to go . . . .I can't believe it . . . Caroline broke her arm . . . again!!
She was swinging from the pole on our little swing set and she jumped down, landed wrong, and broke her left arm.
:(
I am trying my best to be positive about this.
It is kind of ironic because just this morning I decided that I was going to try to not complain so much about things. My favorite radio station (K-Love . . . I am sure you all get it, too) is having a "No Mumblin', No Grumblin' 30 Day Challenge". They have been talking about it for some time now and I think they are on day 21. I have loved hearing about how this challenge has been making such a difference in their lives.
Soooo . . . I decided I must try it and I happily declared this morning that I was officially starting my complaint-free 30 days.
OK . . . then this happened.
I thought of the challenge right away. I decided that I needed to be positive and handle the situation without feeling sorry for myself, blaming anyone, or being angry about it. Everything went much smoother that way!
I was shocked, actually.
I really believe that life IS better when you count the positive things (blessings) instead of focusing on the negatives.
Some positive things about Caroline breaking her arm today:
* it was a buckle fracture instead of breaking the entire bone
*she got a short cast instead of a long arm cast
*her cast is waterproof (swimming can still happen!!)
* I found an orthopaedic doctor that I love
*the doctor and his nurses stayed in the office extra long to take care of Caroline (we called 15 minutes before they were closing and they still told us to come on in. . .they would wait for us) This was a HUGE blessing because it is Friday and we would have had to have waited all weekend for her to see an orthopaedic doctor (been there . . . not fun)
* it was her left arm
I could easily make a long list of all the negatives, but I won't because they are obvious and it wouldn't do me any good, right??
Caroline is doing well . . she picked out a pretty purple cast (I'll post a pic tomorrow) and she is liking the extra attention. We went out for dinner (with the kids, of course) and came home and watched a movie. And now she is sleeping in our bed. (breaking your arm does have perks, you know)
I encourage you to try the "30-day No Mumblin', No Grumblin' Challenge." It's fun, really!

No comments:

Post a Comment