Tonight I am counting it a wonderful blessing that right now, none of my children have a broken bone. Just today, I was playing in the basement with Luke and Caroline and I found myself being so overprotective of their every move. "Watch out!" "Don't run!" "Don't do that or you might break your arm!" Yikes!! I guess one wouldn't blame me for being overly cautious. When Jake was three, he fell off of a slide and completely broke his collar bone. Then last year he broke two of his toes simply running into his bedroom. Then he broke his elbow (radial head) jumping off of a swing (one week before he was supposed to play in the all-star game for baseball). A couple months after getting out of his cast, he broke his radius and ulna galloping backwards in gym class! (he kind of wishes that he could say that he broke his bones while playing a cool sport) Anyway... then there is poor Caroline who was trying to keep up with Jake on her bike with training wheels. I guess going downhill (fast) and around a corner with training wheels is not really a good idea. The bones are all healed now, but I still have some battle scars of worry and fear. I will never forget when Jake was in the hospital the first time after breaking his arm he kept telling me that God had a purpose for it. Even after he realized that he was not going to be able to play in the all-star game, which was incredibly important to him, he looked at me with tears in his eyes and said, "God has a reason for this, and I am going to make the best of it!" I wish I could be more like Jake. I would like to keep my kids with me at all times wrapped in bubble wrap, but I know that would not benefit them! I am working on
trusting the Lord to protect them.
Psalm 56:3 When I am afraid, I will trust in you.
Smiles through it all! What a great witness to others of a childlike trust in God. He is so faithful to mold us.
ReplyDelete