Thursday, June 23, 2011

Patriotic Jell-o

Since it is almost the Fourth of July, I thought it would be nice to re post this recipe.

* * *

I am not one to make JELL-O molds frequently, but on the Fourth of July . . . we just have to because we have this perfect USA mold!! (can't let it go to waste!!)
I got it free many, many years ago at a grocery store in Virginia. (it was one of those "buy 2 boxes of JELL-O, get the mold free" deal)
Even though you probably don't have a mold like this, I thought I would give you the recipe so you can make the layers in a different shape.


Layered Patriotic Jell-o

3 3/4 cups boiling water
1 pkg. (8-serving size) or 2 pkg.(4-serving size) any red flavor JELL-O
1 pkg. (8-serving size) or 2 pkg.(4-serving size) Berry Blue Flavor JELL-O
2 cups cold water
1 pkg. (4-serving size) Lemon JELL-O
1 pint vanilla ice cream, softened


Spray mold (or shallow dish) with no stick cooking spray.

Stir 1 1/2 cups boiling water into red and blue gelatin in separate bowls at least 2 minutes until completely dissolved. Stir 1 cup cold water into each bowl.

Pour red JELL-O into prepared mold. Refrigerate 1 hour or until set but not firm. Reserve blue JELL-O at room temperature.

Stir 3/4 cup boiling water into lemon JELL-O in bowl. Stir in ice cream with wire whisk until melted and smooth. Spoon over red JELL-O in mold. Refrigerate 30 minutes longer or until set but not firm. Refrigerate blue JELL-O (not in mold, just in bowl) 30 minutes or until slightly thickened.

Spoon blue JELL-O over lemon layer in mold. Refrigerate 4 hours or until firm. Unmold.

Wow!
Enjoy!!


linking up with:


The Shabby Nest

 
Tidy Mom

12 comments:

  1. I am pretty sure this is one of the neatest jello molds I have ever seen! I am kind of wishing that I had one! (yep, I love jello in any form!)

    Thank you for checking out my blog and following along! I hope you like what you have seen! I am now happily following your blog too!

    I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    Mandy @ Atlanta Military Mom
    http://atlantamilitarymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have a USA mold???! AWESOMENESS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome...I saw a mold like that last summer, but didn't pick it up. Kind of wish that I had.

    Anyway, thanks for stopping by...I'm now following you as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love layered jello! Your mold is beautiful. I'm sure it's a fun family tradition.

    megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pic looks great! I haven't done a lot of jello molds, your posts makes me want to try. Following you back, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is beautiful and my kids would love that!!
    Thank you for visiting my site :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. THIS IS SOOOOOO COOL! Awesome! Thanks so much for following me...I am now following you back from the Sunday stalk. Blessings!

    Jenny Lee Sulpizio
    Author of "Mommy Whispers"
    http://www.jennysulpizio.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That looks great! That would be fun to make for my class! Thanks for following me - following back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for following, following you back!!! Love the look of that jell-o mold! I might have to give that a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yea! I have this mold (and one put away for each of my 4-girls!). I lost the recipe and was so happy to find it~thank you!! Enjoy the 4th with your blessings!

    ReplyDelete