Monday, May 3, 2010

Behind the Plastic

OK . . . so, I had this great idea to do something to our family room. Something different . . . so I decided to put board and batten on the walls (I'll describe board and batten in a later post).
As with any project, it turned out to be waaay harder and more complex than I had anticipated. When we were tearing off the baseboards, we discovered that the ugly brown carpeting that I hated was covering up hardwood floors (yay!!!! but more work!!).
John was really happy about being able to refinish the floor !! :) I am so proud of him for taking on this project.
you can see a little preview of the board and batten in this picture


Here is the ugly brown carpeting that I am so glad to be rid of. :)


John had to fill in a lot of gaping cracks before he sanded.
We rented a sander that had a vacuum on it . . HIGHLY recommend the one with the vacuum! Hardly any sawdust!!

Here is the floor after three rounds of sanding.



Here it is after the polyurethane. John had to put four layers on with light sanding between each layer. In this picture, it looks pretty glossy because it is still wet.


We'll post more pics later . . . I've been busy painting and painting and painting. Loving the walls!!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment