Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Cooking Class

Look at what my little sweeties were whipping up today!! yummmmmm . . .
We got the recipe out of a book called Cook-A-Doodle-Doo which was written by Janet Stevens and was illustrated by her sister Susan Stevens Crummel. We checked out many books by these sisters at the library because one of their stories was in Caroline's reading text last week.

This book was very cute. . .it was about a rooster, turtle, iguana, and potbellied pig who wanted to make the most magnificent strawberry shortcake in the whole world. They set out to make it, but then realized that no one knew how to cook except for the rooster who ended up teaching them the basics of cooking. After much hard work, they achieved their goal of making the most magnificent strawberry shortcake in the whole world, but it ended up on the floor and the potbellied pig ate the whole thing. :( But, don't worry . . .they made another one real quickly because after making the first one for "practice", it wasn't as hard to make the second. :)
** I especially liked this book because it had notes along the margins of the book explaining things such as "greasing the pan", "breaking eggs", "1 stick butter = 1/2 cup" . . . loved it!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cheryl!
    I love your blog, I always do, but I had to tell you again. :) That is so great you are homeschooling Caroline and Luke! How is Jake liking 4th grade? What a wonderful combo, I know lots of friends who have one child in school and homeschool the other sibling/s at home, depending on each child. What a BLESSING! I again, wish we were neighbors! If you move to Fort Wayne, can you please bring Trader Joes with you? Never fear, we have 3 Target stores!! : )


    Love ya! Let me know some of your favorite breakfasts... this week I am trying some new ideas, as my old ones are in fact OLD! :) XOXO

    Polly

    ReplyDelete